11 May 2010

Becoming a Member & a ?*&%#$!*! Plateau

There is good news & bad news here in the McK household today. First, the good news. :)

I finally got up the gumption to step foot in the doors of a local "athletic club". I took a tour, with my two oldest sons in tow, & was mightily impressed with the facility & marginally impressed with the salesman. It sports a running track, full gym, aerobics/yoga room, two racquetball courts, two pools, a womens-only room, child care-included, & a bazillion steps on the massive staircase to get to it all. :)


That was fun. And I was slightly surprised to see that not every one was wearing a unitard & sporting fabulous leg warmers. There were no "jazz-hands" thrown out by the male aerobics instructor. All in all, not bad for a days work!


Now if only the husband will let me keep it. I signed up, knowing there was a 3 day rescission period that was designed specifically for people like my husband. It's not that he's not supportive of me, but that he's deathly afraid of commitment. I barely got him to marry me nearly 9 years ago, for heaven's sake! It's also a problem because he hates to feel like he's been "sold". He's a salesman & knows all the tricks, so when someone tries to use their punie Jedi mind tricks on him, he doesn't find it amusing; he just bolts.

Secondly, the sales guy asked me today if I'd hit a plateau in my weight loss yet. It didn't hit me until this moment that that is, in fact, what I'm dealing with here. I've had very small losses lately, a slight gain, then a stall for about a week or so now. It clicked in my brain, finally, that I was once about the weight I'm currently at for quite some time, several years ago. Dr. Simeons warns of this in his book Pounds & Inches. It's nice to finally know what the deal is & now I'm hoping to break through the invisible barrier & move on with my weight loss.

As of this morning, I'm down 24.6 pounds for this round. I reeeeally want to get to the 34 pound mark before my anniversary at the end of the month. And really, if I'm being honest here, I'd like very much to get to my goal before the quarterly mom's book club night where much cheese fondue will be had. Really. Really really.


No comments: